1982 (last renovation in 2004)
74.473 people (Panathinaikos-AEK, 1986)
The Olympic Stadium is situated in Maroussi (in the northern suburbs of Athens, 9 km from the centre of the city and 22 km from the airport). It is part of the Olympic Athletic Centre of Athens (O.A.K.A).
The official name of Olympic Stadium emanates from Spyros Louis, the “Golden” Olympic Champion of the Marathon, in the first modern Olympic Games (Athens, 1896). The Olympic Stadium was the heart of the Olympic Games of 2004, since it hosted the Opening Ceremony, the Closing Ceremony, the track & field events and the football final of the Games. It had been the home field of PANATHINAIKOS from 1984 to 2000. It has also hosted two finals of the Champions Cup (later Champions League) as well as the Champions League final of 2007.
The Olympic Stadium belongs to O.A.K.A. (the Athens Olympic Sports Complex), which was designed and upgraded, in a creative and pioneering way, by the famous Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava (Wall of Nations, Agora). The Stadium is known for its new roof.
37 Kifissias Ave. and Spirou Loui, Maroussi